搜尋此網誌

2012年9月2日 星期日

Information About Pets


When I was about six, I met Amigo, my best friend Aparna's dog-a beagle with dancing eyes and boundless energy. I secretly imagined he was mine and he returned the sentiment by running to meet me like an old friend when I popped over. I'd tag along on walks and beg to hold his leash and that was the closest I came to owning a pet for many years. Both my parents worked and I was too small to care for a dog; so it wasn't until many years later-when I could be almost independently responsible for a pet-that we brought home Oreo, our very own puppy.

By bringing home Oreo, we embraced a serious responsibility that involved an ongoing investment of time, money, and love: we made sure that he was vaccinated, given the right nutrition, lovingly trained, adequately exercised, given medical attention when needed, regularly bathed and brushed, and showered with plenty of personal attention. When we vacationed without him, we'd arrange to have him stay at a good pet boarding facility. And when we relocated to a different city, we factored his safe transport into our plans. Happily, our Oreo grew into a beloved, intelligent, friendly, playful, superbly well-adjusted dog with many friends (a few of whom, I strongly suspect, secretly imagined he was theirs).

Now that I'm older, I understand why other grownups are sometimes wary of sharing their home with a puppy or a kitten-irresistible as they can be. The joy of being surrounded by a furry bundle of energy comes at a price-in the monetary sense and in that it requires a commitment toward ensuring the animal's well being over the next 12 to 15 years!

A pet usually doesn't develop the skills necessary to fend for itself in the outside world and is dependent on its owners for sustenance and love. If you enjoy being around animals but aren't ready to take on the responsibility of fulltime pet ownership, consider "adopting" a friendly stray on your street. You can ensure that your adoptive pet is vaccinated annually, neutered/spayed, and, maybe, given a daily meal and an occasional bath. He'll love you for it and you won't have to worry about exercising him or house training him or leaving him behind when you vacation! And for your home, you could perhaps get a ficus or a pair of hardy cacti.

Whatever you do, please don't "surprise" someone who's not totally prepared for pet ownership, with a puppy or kitten in a pretty basket, because opening a home to a pet is so much more than a brief photo op.







沒有留言:

張貼留言